Since May 12th when the powerful seismological wave traveled 2000 kilometers to shake our office building here in Nanjing, we have been keeping a close eye on development of the ongoing rescue work in Sichuan province, the worst hit area in southwest China.
The earthquake, the strongest one to hit China in 32 years, demolished buildings and trapped tens of thousands beneath the rubble. Up until now, the death toll has exceeded 19,500 by 4 p.m. Thursday, rising by more than 5,000 from Wednesday’s 14,463.
Rescue work has been proceeding with much difficulty due to landslides, telecommunication breakdown and continuous rainfall. And more forces in the country have been mobilized to join the rescuers who have been racing against time to find as many survivors as they could.
In the meantime, people from all walks of life in and out of China have been doing their utmost to help the country live through the hardship.
When blood is urgently needed to save lives of victims in the quake, blood donors all over the country are responding in droves. Long queues of people waiting to donate blood at mobile blood-collection banks can be seen here in Nanjing as well as in many other cities. And people have also been actively offering donations in cash or goods.
Besides, both domestic and overseas companies and organizations have been giving what they can to help victims of the quake. Donations in both cash and goods to the quake-stricken area had risen to 877 million yuan (125 million US dollars) till 4 p.m. on Wednesday.
The Ministry of Civil Affairs has authorized the Red Cross Society of China and China Charity Federation to receive donations for quake-hit areas. The Red Cross Society of China (RCSC) has received public donations of 311 million yuan and the China Charity Federation has received about 120 million yuan.
While ensuring the quality and timeliness of our services to all our clients, we are deeply concerned with lives of people still in danger in Sichuan. We hope that more people will join us in helping victims out there. If you are willing to offer help, here are several ways:
1. Account number for renminbi donation: 0200001009014413252, at Beijing branch of Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
2. Account number for foreign currency donation: 7112111482600000209 at Jiuxianqiao branch of CITIC Bank.
3. Donation through post office should be sent to:
Red Cross Society of China
No 8, Beixinqiaosantiao, Dongcheng District, Beijing, 100007
Its website: www.redcross.org.cn
4. Red Cross Society of China donation hotline: (8610) 65139999, 64027620
5. Chinese Red Cross Foundation also receives donations, which can be sent to:
No 53, Ganmian Hutong, Dongdanbeidajie Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing, 100010
6. Account number of Beijing branch, Bank of China: 800100921908091001
7. Account number of Dongsinan branch, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China: 0200001019014483874
8. Account number of Beijing Chaoneidajie branch, China Construction Bank: 11001070300059000427
9. Account number for foreign currency at Bank of China: 800100086608091014
10. China Charity Federation hotline: (8610) 66083260, 66083264, 66083194
Popularity: 1% [?]